Friday, July 17, 2009

Oh, Glorious Summer: More Yard Art and Sunflowers





One of the reasons I do the blog is purely to have fun by trying different approaches that may spark or inspire others. Following Marie's recent post about yard art, I have noticed it in abundance--some pure whimsy, some political, some creative. But each piece an extended expression of the unique diversity of folks who live on our streets and in our houses.

Today I laughed at Karen Klimak's mischievous "found object tin men" on Haydon Street. I enjoyed an extravagantly creative twirling sculpture hanging in front of Cheryl's peace sign on Tucker. At times the sculpture seemed to be waving to the two playful pigs sharing a picnic lunch and a bottle of wine across the street.

And then sunflowers... This seems to be a banner year for sunflowers of all sorts. Once again, I held my breath as I strolled through the imposing wall of sunflowers surrounding the house on Tucker. Then I nosed out another group--spectacular brown headed ones--at Nancy Morgan's house on First Street. I ended up standing at the southeast corner of Fitch and Tucker, looking straight down at my feet rather than up at the imperious flower heads--at multi-colored sidewalk chalk art celebrating the "40th Man on the Moon" anniversary. Oh, glorious summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment