Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Then and Now: How do we preserve Healdsburg’s small town character?


As most of you know, there are five large chunks of undeveloped property within Healdsburg’s urban growth boundary. It’s likely that there will be proposals to develop these properties when the economy improves. Currently the city has a commitment to the hospitality industry, so we’re more likely to get more high-end resorts. like the recently approved Saggio Hills. rather than big box stores.

What will happen to our small town character if most, if not all, of these properties are blanketed with hotels, restaurants, stores?

For several months now, I’ve been involved with the Healdsburg Visioning Project, which has been working to involve more residents in the decision-making process involving future development.

In my 43 years in Healdsburg, I have seen many changes that I’m not all that happy about. As new developments are proposed, would I like to share with the city council and planning commission what I remember about Healdsburg that made it so special? You bet! Would you? If so, please stay tuned in to what the Healdsburg Visioning Project is doing. For starters, here’s a 14 page draft of the Project Manual. Or read the whole thing here.

Photo: Taken by me in our local cemetery on our city's 150 anniversary .

No comments:

Post a Comment