Friday, July 31, 2009

Shopping in the Sixties

When I came to Healdsburg in 1966, Garrett's Hardware was on the south side of the Plaza. It was a tall narrow store with sliding ladders on the east and west walls. The floors were made of wood. I think it was some kind of soft wood, like pine, darkened with age and foot traffic.

I recall going to Garrett's to buy some rope. At the rear of the store there were holes in the floor, and poking out of the holes were rope ends. I picked the diameter and how many feet I wanted, and the salesperson started pulling on the rope until until the desired length appeared.

I have no idea why this is such a significant memory to me. Maybe it's because it is symbolic of a simpler, slower time. Or I'm more attracted to stores that sell basics and are located in the heart of a town. Possibly it's because I didn't have to throw away packaging when I got back home.

The photo obviously isn't the old Garrett's. I couldn't find one, so I went looking online for an old fashioned hardware store. When I found the photo of Carpenter's Paint and Hardware, I called and asked the owner if I could use it. The store, which looks like this today, is located in upstate New York. I had a wonderful time talking with the owner.

2 comments:

  1. Gail,

    This is just great. Leave it to you to make that kind of phone call and have a good time doing it! Thanks for all your posts. At least you know that I am enjoying them and I know Gary reads them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add me to the readers of Healdsburg History. Gail, I share your fond memories of Garrett Hardware when it was located south of the Plaza.

    I, too, remember the worn creaking floors of the store and its wonderful scent. Bosworth's Store in Geyserville still retains that same aromatic ambiance.

    ReplyDelete