Monday, November 16, 2009

From Healdsburg Tribune Letters to the Editor




This letter from a community member appeared in last week's Healdsburg Tribune. I thought it was very touching. I count myself as one of those who shoots a look at that bridge whenever I return to Healdsburg. And I give thanks for the town and it's history.


Destruction of our soul

Published: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:01 PM PST
Editor: Ray Holley’s column in the Nov. 5 Tribune suggested that city officials are predisposed to destruction of Memorial Bridge.

Let me see if I have this right: We are going to tear down a magnificent community symbol and replace it with a concrete lump that only Caltrans could love? Unthinkable.

Other communities that have been down this road would agree. Did San Francisco rip out the Joseph Strauss-designed Lefty O’Doul Bridge when construction of AT&T park threatened it? Certainly not. And what was Guerneville’s answer when its wonderful old span faced the wrecking ball? Save it.

It’s time to end defeatist thinking about Memorial Bridge. There are many rescue efforts that should be aggressively explored, including creation of a community improvement district that would not just save the bridge but beautify the surrounding area.


Memorial Bridge is as much the fabric of Healdsburg as our beloved Plaza. Who among us hasn’t shot the bridge a glimpse from northbound 101 as we returned to town from a trip and thought, “Hey, I’m home!”

Tearing down that bridge is destruction of the community’s soul. Don’t let it happen.

David S. Dietz

Healdsburg


1 comment:

  1. A hearty thank you to both you, Shonnie, for posting it, and to David Dietz for writing that wonderful letter.

    Shonnie, you echo David when you wrote, "I count myself as one of those who shoots a look at that bridge whenever I return to Healdsburg." Me too, me too.

    Travis said today that the twin bridges-- Memorial and the train trestle--create a double M. I thought it an interesting spacial image.

    ReplyDelete