Saturday, November 21, 2009

How many roses does it take to make four ounces of rose oil?


This morning I started my Christmas shopping at the Healdsburg Farmers' Market. The first booth I stopped at was Mike and Jan Tolmasoff’s Russian River Rose Company.

I’ve known the Tolmasoffs for over thirty years and have watched their home on Magnolia become incredibly beautiful with roses everywhere, including climbing up trellises to the second story of their house.

When I expressed interest in the attractively bottled rose water, Mike told me that they picked 1,980 pounds of roses and that there are 120 roses in each pound. From this huge endeavor they were able to extract four ounces of rose oil.

I’ll do the math: 1,980 pounds X 120 roses per pound = 237,600 roses! I’d describe this as a labor of love.

Reminder: Next Saturday, December 5th, is the last Farmers’ Market this year. I hope you’ll do your Christmas shopping there, too, and come home with great gifts, including the Tolmasoff’s Rose Water.
Written by Gail Jonas. Posted by Shonnie Brown for Gail Jonas.


1 comment:

  1. Oops, next Saturday (the Sat. after Thanksgiving)is November 28 and the last Healdsburg Farmers' Market for the season!

    If you wait until December 5, you'll be too late.

    ReplyDelete