Monday, June 15, 2009

Life and Adventures of Col. L.A. Norton

When I interviewed Gala Norton, Sr. for the "Neighbors" column, I wrote about this colorful Healdsburg character. I have never forgotten this incredible online find ...

L. A. Norton, was a bona fide pioneer (as well as the first mayor of Healdsburg, the first attorney in town, former chief of police and fire chief). Lewis Adelbert Norton arrived in California in July 1850, eventually settling in Healdsburg.

“He crossed the plains twice as an Army Colonel,” Gala tells me. “He survived four bullet holes, presumably from fighting Indians, and died at age 66 from cancer. He buried four wives and is himself buried here in town.”

Online I find the “Life and Adventures of Colonel L.A. Norton” written by the man himself. Growing up in Canada and New York state, Norton left home at age 11 “with my worldly possessions in a pocket handkerchief.” Chapter titles such as “A Night of Fearful Suspense in a Strange Hotel,” “Memoirs of the Mexican War,” “Avenging an Outrage by Guerrillas,” and “My California Home--The Attractions in and Around Healdsburg.” beckon me to stay up all night reading. I can’t imagine memoirs that include both Healdsburg and the Mexican War!

books.google.com/books?id=gzdDAAAAIAAJ&dq=L.A.+Norton&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=-xBhW9SvQO&sig=C49ErMqb1rX6hr0-Vvo29gmgBlw&hl=en&ei=QjI3SszIJoXUsgOr0cyNDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPP1,M1

No comments:

Post a Comment