Friday, June 26, 2009

Rollin' on the River


Many thanks to each of you who have e-mailed or Facebooked me with words of support for the blog. And thanks to you who are signing up to follow and author. That encourages me to keep bloggin'....

One of my most favorite things to do in Healdsburg is to walk right into the river, flop onto my back and let the current just float me effortlessly downstream. A friend and I do that as often as we can. Today we floated for about a mile. Since the river is low, we walked and swam slowly back the way we came. I won't reveal where or how we gained access because some folks might not like it, but I will share my other favorite river stories:

On a hot day in late June 1997 I came to explore Healdsburg thinking I might want to live here. The hotter it got, the more determined my sister Beverly and I were to get into that river, no matter what. Driving along Bailhache, we took a random left on Brandt Road, ignoring all the “No Trespassing” signs. We drove straight down to the beach, pulled off everything but our underwear and jumped in, splashing about until a woman came and shooed us off. About seven years later when I met Mary Brandt at the HHS Class of 1940 reunion on her property, I recognized her as the woman who’d chased us off her beach. She actually remembered and thankfully didn’t chase me away a second time.

Last year, my friend Lillian Reid and I discovered that we could walk our poodles from my house, short cut to Badger Park off Second Street and take the long path to the river. I felt so empowered that I could actually have river access from my very own home. I let the current take me away that day and Lillian filmed me! It was a wonderful day. A Tom Sawyer type of day. The kind of day I moved to Healdsburg for!




No comments:

Post a Comment