Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"The Squatter War" from the Life and Adventures of Col. L.A. Norton

Ann Howard reminds me to mention the Squatter War. Here is a tiny portion of that chapter:

We were all supplied with double-barreled shot-guns and plenty of ammunition. The sheriff had retired, and about a dozen of the squatters lingered for a time. I had gone out to reconnoiter the premises, when they commenced talking very rough to the boys, telling them that they had better leave, as every one of them would be killed before morning, etc. The boys were telling them that they were not there to fight, but merely to hold possession under the law. In the early part of the conversation I had slipped up behind a large oak tree where I could hear every word that passed, and at this juncture I sprang from my concealment and exclaimed,  "You are a bombastic set of cowards; you have dared me to hold these premises; now go home and rally your forces for your night attack; you will find 'old Norton' at his post." My boys all bustled up and told them to go or they would boot them, and finally bluffed the fellows from the ground; but on riding off they called back that we would see them again before morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment