Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Healdsburg's Own Smith Robinson

This is a article I wrote for Chris Smith's Column(SRPD)in 2004. So as you read my article, remember it is 2004.

My father attended HHS with Smitty, and Smitty was a visitor in our house on Fitch St, all my growing up years. Smitty often said that he saw me before my father did when I was born, because he happened to be in the delivery room fixing something when I arrived. In the late 40's and 50's Smitty directed the Federated Church Chancel Choir. I was a member of that choir from the time I was 10 until I graduated from high school in 1954. He taught us all so much. Our choir with Smitty as our director, sang all over the Bay Area. The choir was made up of all white kids, and Smitty. We thought nothing of it. Every year he would take us to San Francisco to sing for the Spring Tea that was held at the Baptist Church near Divisadero St. His brother-in-law was the Pastor there. The first year I went there with Smitty, I was 12. As I looked down on an audience of 250 black people, I was so scared, I couldn't sing. I had never been in that place before. After our concert was over, we were all invited to have refreshments with the Baptist congregation. I stayed back stage, then all of the sudden there was Smitty. He took my hand, and I followed him, from that time on I was never afraid to go there. In 1952 when Ebony Magazine did a feature article on Smitty, they came and took pictures of our Choir with Smitty directing. It was published with his article in Ebony Magazine. Just 50 years ago this month, "This Is you Life". picked Smitty to honor on their TV show. I remember how we all knew in advance, but we had to keep it a secret from him. As his "Choir Cherubs" (as he called us) we were so proud of him. We sent him a telegram to let him know how proud we all were. I have a video copy of that old TV show. All his "Choir Cherubs" gathered together in Healdsburg that night to watch the show on a small black/white TV. I remember it like it was yesterday. Smitty continued to be my friend, attending our wedding in 1957, and coming to Santa Rosa to have dinner with us after we were married and always keeping in touch.
In 1963, the whole town of Healdsburg gathered together at the Villa and raised funds for Smitty so that he could have open heart surgery. The funds were raised, but Smitty never had the surgery. I went to the Memorial hospital one night in June 1963, I hadn't plan on going that night to visit him, but something just told me that I had to go see him. When I got there, he told me that he was not going to have the surgery, and he mentioned all the things he was going to miss in life, including his mother's biscuits, and of course his choir cherubs. At 26, I didn't want to hear that or even think about it. I tried to tell him that he was going to be fine, and that he would have his mother's biscuits another day, then I left. A few minutes after I left, a nurse came in and he was gone. Once again, in his gentle way, he know better than I did.
Francis Passalacqua, a longtime Healdsburg residence, once said, "The Robinsons made Healdsburg a better place, and us better people." In my mind, that statement is so true, and that is really the way it was. In the years since Smitty's death, the Robinson family have donated all Smitty's scrap books, pictures, tapes etc. to the Healdsburg Museum. It is there for everyone to see. Two years ago, Holly Hoods, from the Healdsburg Museum and myself were invited to have lunch in San Francisco with Smitty's younger sister, Effie Robinson. The two of us had a delightful afternoon visit and lunch with Effie and her niece. Effie died last May.
Smith Robinson was much more than I am telling you to Healdsburg, and the people of Healdsburg, but for now this is enough. If you ever need more info, Holly Hoods at the Healdsburg Museum can help you, and of course I will always be glad to share with you what I know. I just want to say that I have often heard it said that the Robinsons were the only black family in Healdsburg, that is not true. The other family lived at the s/e corner of East St & Plaza. I will always miss Smitty, but I was lucky to have had him in my life for 26 years.

Darla Williams Budworth

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories of Smitty. I know people will want more from you. I know I do!

    I forgot to tell you, Darla, that Smitty will be mentioned in tomorrow's Neighbors column on Volunteerism in Healdsburg.

    ReplyDelete