Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Neighbors and Neighborhoods



Tonight I am thinking about neighbors and neighborhoods here in our community. My two friends, Robert and Heidi, just knocked on my door to come say "Hi" because they were taking a late evening walk around town. And as my pal Sue Yavorsky says, "I love that we can just walk to each other's house. Where else can you do that?"

Haydon Street, where I live in the southeast corner of old Healdsburg, has changed many times over in the 11 years that I have lived here. I used to know many more of my neighbors than I do today. Actually, four of the homes on my block are second homes that rarely have people inside. I find that rather sad.

I know a little about Barb Tuscany's neighborhood because she is vitally interested in her neighbors and has shared with me about them, especially about the big goings-on at 227 North Street. When I interviewed Gina Riner for Neighbors, she invited me to a neighborhood party and I still see some of the people I met that night. I know some of my neighbors on both Tucker and Mason Streets, because these are the streets that border mine. But generally, I don't know much of anything about the little micro-communities in town. And I am curious.

One of the things we could talk about on our community blog is about our neighborhoods. Please tell me more about yours...

1 comment:

  1. Last night, Shonnie, we had a mini harvest "party" in our little neighborhood. Our peaches, fig, and tomatoes produce more than we can eat, so I trotted over to two of the neighbors' houses and said, if you want fruit come on over and let's pick it. So we did--three families sharing a neighborhood harvest--these are the ties that form through sharing.

    ReplyDelete