Tuesday, December 15, 2009

CCCC Report # 3 - What's really going on in Copenhagen?

Yesterday, as I eagerly waited for Tod's reports to show up at the Post Carbon Institute blog, I checked the news for what is going on in Copenhagen.

Good grief! It looked like the convention was already falling apart as African nations led a walkout. I was relieved to see they only walked out for the day, not permanently.

Tod, after traveling 28 hours by plane, cars, buses, and trains, recovered from his jet lag and currently two of his posts are up at the Post Carbon website, "The Search for Conservation Part I: Lonely and Looking," and "Search for Conservation Part 2 - The Politics of Exclusion."

I urge you to read both of them. Tod is a incredible writer and there's no way I can do justice to his descriptions of the convention.

Sidebar: Several years ago Tod lent me George Monbiot's book, Heat. The most memorable chapter, "Love Miles," was on the impact of flying on global warming. George urged us to limit our flying to seeing our families and closest friends.

I know that Tod is conflicted about flying, but I see his trip to Copenhagen as using some of his love miles because he so passionately cares our incredible earth, which is at risk, and his son Justice and other children who will ultimately benefit if we adults can return to sanity and figure out how to reduce our greenhouse gases.

This morning, George Monbiot posted a thoughtful article, "This is about us." "The talks at Copenhagen are not just about climate change. They represent a battle to redefine humanity." I assume he's at the convention, and I hope he gets to meet Tod.

Update I: Just saw this on the Post Carbon Institute Facebook page: "The mood is far from pretty. NGOs are being shut out. People waiting 7 hours to get in. G77 (the poorer nations) walkout. Pretty much a disaster." Stay tuned.

(photo of Tod at the convention)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your updates, Gail, as well as your link to "This is about us." Monbiot's article is right on the money. We have tough questions and the restrainers must prevail.

    ReplyDelete