Monday, December 21, 2009

CCCC Report # 7 - Tod's reflections on COP15 and what we can do

Tod is en route to Healdsburg. I've linked to today's post about the Copenhagen Climate Change Convention (CCCC), or "COP15": "Reflections on Copenhagen: Activism in Dead. Long Live Activism." This is an achingly beautiful piece. I urge you to read the whole thing.

What have I gained from volunteering to be a non-roving reporter following Tod on his 8,000 mile trip to Copenhagen and back?

1. I've followed what happened at COP15 more closely. For instance, did Obama and Clinton "burst" in on a secret last-minute meeting of China, Brazil, India and South Africa? Apparently the answer is no. Does it matter whether or not they did? I'm not sure.

2. It's helped me stay aware of my inclination to create some mental ease and comfort that creeps in and subtly tells me that maybe this climate change thing isn't so bad after all. I'm referring to the our recent cold snap, that it's raining more than I thought it would, and even D.C. is experiencing a record-breaking snow storm. I wonder if Obama was subject to the same almost-subconscious mind-set when he left COP15 before the vote on the Copenhagen Accord in order to get back home before the storm broke.

3. I'm following the climate change issue more carefully now. The scientific reports seem to be getting worse. For instance, this morning I saw that the prestigious magazine Nature has an article, "Sea level rise may exceed worst expections." Staying informed helps me not be lulled into thinking that if my life is so very, very comfortable, the problem must not be that serious.

4. I'm reminded that my small efforts, from living in a very small home where I have my business, to walking or riding my bike and rarely driving, to helping organize our local 350.org event last October 24 are a miniscule part of the greater collective goal of reducing greenhouse gases into our atmosphere.

5. As I juggle my commitments to helping care for my almost-three-twin grandchildren (you never see me driving them around!), my business, and my citizen activism, I need to remain mindful that if I ruin my health caring too much about too many things, I won't be there with Tod in lifting "the climate message over the fence."

Thanks, Tod, for taking time away from your family to be one of our county's official delegates ahd Healdsburg's unofficial delegate at COP15. You'll be hearing from me.

(photo provided by Tod)

No comments:

Post a Comment