Saturday, December 19, 2009

CCCC Report # 6 - Well, that's that - The climate convention has concluded and Tod will return to Healdsburg in a couple of days

What did I expect to be accomplished in Copenhagen? Before I started posting about fellow resident Tod Brilliant's experience there, not much. What happened as a result of Tod's reports and paying more attention to the Copenhagen Climate Change Convention (CCCC)? Somehow, I thought if I and others cared enough about what happened there, somehow our collective energy would make a difference. Weird huh?

So it's done. Tod will leave Copenhagen on the 21st. I hope to meet with him this coming week. Here's Tod's Dec. 18th post, "Obama as White Knight: Naked Ambition at COP 15." As with all his posts, I hope you read the whole thing, though this sentence captures Tod's impression of Obama's influence on the future of climate change: "Barack Obama's honeymoon with both the environmental community and greater Europe has come to an end."

On the home front. Barclay Nalley, whom I've known for 43 years, wrote an angry letter to the Healdsburg Tribune editor, "Copenhagen Hygira." Barclay even called for a grand jury to "demand a complete audit of such frivolous expenditures." What do you think? I'm sure the debate will go on. After some ambivalence, I think the money was well spent even if the result was a weak accord.

For those who aren't quite ready to change their focus from this hugely important issue to the more mundane*, here are some links to articles and videos that I found worthwhile:

1. Bill McKibben of 350.org and Naomi Klein of The Nation on their first take on the results of the convention. A fifteen minute video, worth every minute.

2. "Scramble for the atmosphere," by Tod's and my climate change hero, George Monbiot.

3. But wait! All is not lost. Guess who made sense at the convention? Check it out.

*My "mundane" activity includes cleaning house today.

(photo from Tod's post at the Post Carbon Institute blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment