Friday, December 18, 2009

CCCC Report #5 - A "special magic gift" from Tod

This morning, I received an e-mail alert from Facebook that Tod had given those of us who belong to the Creative Job Agency Group a special gift. Of course, I checked it out immediately, and it was this very funny (if slightly grotesque) video titled "Lord Monckton Raps Al Gore." Watch it. You'll probably get a kick out of it.


If the full screen doesn't show up above, go to the video here.

If time allows, I'll update this post. The news looks pretty grim about the likelihood of a meaningful agreement coming out of Copenhagen. Obama is there today.

What's bothering me, which I hope to dig in to later today:
1. Recent polls show increasing skepticism about the reasons for climate change and Obama's handling of the issue slipping;
2. A leaked UN report shows cuts offered at Copenhagen would lead to a 3C rise.
3. Tiny and poor countries are being pressured to agree to a 2C cut, even though 1.5C will adversely affect millions of people in these countries. The pressure? A promise of cash to help with the problems these countries experience as a result of the increased temperatures. Naomi Klein describes the promise as "blackmail."

Sigh, at least I get to spend the day with my wonderful almost-three twin grandchildren.

Update I: Naomi Klein write a searing article in the UK Guardian, "Better to have no deal at Copenhagen than one that spells catastrophe."

No comments:

Post a Comment