Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Making more holiday memories




Ah, Gail, you’ve started something here. Conor and I made this reindeer when he was here last week. I love making projects with him. Often we make things that are nature related or holiday themed.

In fact, both of my sons have asked me to do things with the boys that I did with them. I wish my grandsons were closer so we could do all those memory making activities together more often. The true joy of the holidays is creating memories that last a lifetime.

To make a reindeer:

2 corks

1 small study piece of twig for the neck. We cut all our twigs from our peach tree.

1 long twig for the four legs. Cut into four equal pieces.

2 googly eyes. But paper works, or other materials that catch your fancy

2 twigs for antlers. They can be forked, but also straight. Use what you find and trim and shape as desired.

1 small piece of brown pipe cleaner for the tail. But felt is also good, or a small paper scrap.

Pen to draw mouth and nose.

Yes! Glue. It is really a paste. It is the best project glue I’ve found for kids’ projects.

1. Poke a hole with a small straight screwdriver into the two corks where you want to join them to form the head and body. Swipe a little glue on each end of the small study twig and insert it into each cork.

2. Poke four holes in the bottom cork for the legs. Swipe the leg twigs in a little glue and insert them into the holes. Check to that the reindeer will stand alone.

3. Glue on the googly eyes

4. Poke two holes for the antlers to give that reindeer attitude. Again, swipe the twigs in the glue and insert into the holes.

5. Poke a hole for the pipe cleaner tail, swipe it in glue and insert into hole.

6. Draw on nose and mouth.

Conor is 7, and he was able to do everything, except poke the holes, himself by working side-by-side as I made one to show him the steps.

Enjoy with your favorite children!

2 comments:

  1. How cute! Don't get me started on my holiday crafts. Living in Bavaria for four years was such a joy at Christmas because of the crafts I learned from the Germans and passed on to my American friends. I'll never forget!
    Well, at least you, Gail and I have a good thing going here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We become a little wild with the holiday crafts, Shonnie! Yesterday, Conor and I made hummingbird ornaments, and I plant to do a woven paper basket (if I can figure out how to do it)next week. I'm so grateful to have this boy in my life!

    ReplyDelete